Google+ House Revivals: DIY Charging Stations For Your Electronic Devices

Saturday, April 5, 2014

DIY Charging Stations For Your Electronic Devices

Electronic devises are driving me crazy! How about you? You're trying to make dinner, and the counter is strewn with cords, there's a device sitting on the floor next to an outlet, and maybe there's even one plugged into a bathroom outlet, that gets in the way every time you want to blow dry your hair. What to do?


There are plenty of retailers that sell charging stations, but I have not yet found one that I like, so off to the interwebs and blogosphere I went for inspiration to make my own.


(This post is participating in the Blogging A to Z Challenge, E is for Electronic devices!)

This breadbox conversion from Four Generations One Roof looks right at home on the kitchen counter (and you can quickly grab your tablet to double-check a recipe)!



Sugarscout sells these amazing charging stations made from vintage train cases, if you want something unique and DIY is not your thing. LOVE.


Whether you love vintage old-fashioned or vintage retro, they can hook you up!


Donna, at Funky Junk, re-purposed this old toolbox into a charging stations and drop area. I love the industrial vibe!


The ugly power strip at this charging area is hidden away in a pretty box. Tasha Chawner shares her DIY here.

At A Smith of all Trades, you can find a tutorial for creating a custom charging station from an old tray!


I simply adore this portable charging station from Make it-Love it!  It's so clever.


Okay, this station is not from a DIY source, but it is majorly cool.  I want it for my beach house, except it's way too modern and way too small.  We can have more than a dozen devices needing charged at the same time. I think it would be fun to adapt the concept to a vintage soda crate or long tray.  I'm not sure where to put the power strip, though -- any ideas?  This might work in my condo -- maybe on the ledge separating the kitchen from the living area, but I would probably drop it into a pretty basket.


After looking at all those inspiring ideas, I did a quick Craigslist search, to find things that could easily be adapted to charging stations.


This vintage breadbox is available right now for thirty dollars!


What could you do with a jewelry box? Maybe put phones in the top drawer, a small tablet in the bottom, and other devices in the top section?


There is plenty of room in this vintage wooden box to store a power strip and smaller devices.


How about taking a page from Funky Junk's book, and adapting an old toolbox?


Do you have devices charging all over your house?  Have you devised a clever way to store and charge them?  I would love to hear your ideas!

If you are visiting from the Blogging A to Z Challenge, please leave the URL to your post in the comments so I can find you.