Google+ House Revivals: Make a Pretty No-Sew Cuff Bracelet

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Make a Pretty No-Sew Cuff Bracelet

Do you just love a pretty cuff bracelet?


All the fabric cuff bracelets floating around are so pretty I decided I needed to make my own.  But I did not want to sew -- I didn't even want to sew on one button.  And I didn't want to spend any money, either. And it needed to be a quick project.  Basically, I wanted a quick, cheap, and easy project :)



Enter old shirt:

My inner lazy person was delighted by this perfectly good cuff on an old worn-out shirt!  Problem of how to make a cuff without sewing? Solved!

I didn't want a super wide cuff, so I just tore off the part I wanted to use (the other section can be used for a future project).  Tearing the edge, instead of cutting, gives a softer look, and doesn't need to be hemmed.  No sewing, right?

 I used some fabric glue to attach the layers of the cuff together, and then the cuff portion of the bracelet was done.  That took all of five minutes!

Next, I cut a couple of long rectangles from the same old worn-out shirt.


 Then I folded them and lightly pressed them, and cut a fringe into the cut side of each folded strip.


To add just a little bit of sparkle, I grabbed this beaded chain that I already had. You can buy this at Daiso Japan for $1.50. If you are ever visiting the PNW, you must visit Daiso Japan, where almost everything is $1.50.


To create the center of the flower, I simply looped a length of the beaded chain around my fingers, and glued it to the end of one of the fringe strips.  Then I began tightly wrapping and gluing the fringe around and around...

After the first strip was all wound up, I began winding the second strip, this time coaxing the flower into the shape I wanted as I glued.


Next, I made some leaves.  To make the leaves, simply cut a couple of rectangles from a piece of fabric.  I used a soft gray lining fabric leftover from a skirt upcycle.


These are about three inches square.  Give or take...

Fold each square in half, then fold the sides in to form a triangle, as shown.


Next, gather the long edge of the triangle together, and glue.


Now, the cuff is ready to be assembled!  Glue your leaves on, then add the flower, and you're done.


So simple, and so pretty.


And don't forget quick, easy, and cheap!


Enjoy your weekend, and if you are cleaning out any closets, you may want to give some worn out shirts a second look :)